Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Games: Star Ocean 3 [!OT]

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's it, I've gotten Star Ocean 3 and here are my comments:

    Graphics: Good enough, not the bomb, but stil good, especially for a PS2. The game is very smooth and has almost no slowdown (only saw slowdown in two places rotating the camera and lasting about 0.2 seconds each). As for animation, the engine is pretty good (Peppita's clothes, etc.), but the keyframing is not always good, and facial expressions are average for a console RPG. Overall: Good

    Music: I'd define Motoi Sakuraba as "capable of the best and the worst". Most (80%) of the tracks are awesome, considerably above average (although they don't always fit situations perfectly, but this is a minor problem), then in 75% of dungeons you'll find these noise patterns made of this ugly electric organ instrument and absolutely random rythm and I find myself muting the TV for the sake of humanity. I certainly don't understand how such a great musician mixes this crap with the abundant good stuff, and it's a pity, because it stains an otherwise wonderful soundtrack. The song used for BGM in the beginning rocked BTW, I think it's time for games to use more songs. Overall: Good (Great if we don't count the noise)

    Voices: Voiceacting is IMO generally good, except -damn- for the most important characters (i.e. Fayt, Sophia). The presence of Albedo's voiceactor earns extra points in this area. The main problem with it is the fact that you almost can't hear them because they are so quiet. Do you native guys actually play without subtitles? I think it's impossible to understand what they say in some cut-scenes. This is the same silly mistake I've found in game after game. Then again, after watching Spanish, English, and Japanese DVDs, I think in Spain voices are mixed louder than in other countries (actually, voices tend to be about the same volume, but the music is lower), so I may be used to it and have trouble recognizing voices when the music is loud. Overall: Average (would be Good if they were louder)

    Gameplay: The combat system is good, although it suffers from the same thing as previous Star Ocean games: with just 3 party characters and 3 foes it's too fast and gets too messy, so you end up button mashing for most of it. I also get the feeling I suck at it, unless this RPG is meant to be moderately hard. It's not that I get killed, but I barely make a profit from combats; in some point of the game I thought I'd be screwed because I was spending more on recovery items than money I got from fighting, and I couldn't go back to find easier monsters to level up with. Overall: Good/Great undecided

    Story: The story seems to be very good. I'm a little surprised at the size of the "stack" (as in computers), how to explain this... You have to do A, but in the process you discover you have to do B first, and in the way you have to do C first, which requires D, so you'll have to fix D, then C, then B, then A, this is what I mean. So you really have to do something and somebody to rescue, but you end up involved in some underdeveloped planet's affairs to a deep extent, and you seem to be there to stay for some time, not just a quick fix. I like the underdeveloped concept though, as it allows you to play in charming medieval scenarios, instead of all futuristic stuff. Overall: Good/Great Undecided

    Characters: Characters seem to be average for an RPG. The protagonist is really dull, but Cliff is more fun, and Nel rocks. As for looks, even though Nel rocks I'm still going for Sophia for now, she's the kind of girl I like, plus the childhood friend (now all we need is an almost forgotten promise made 10 years ago ^_^). Overall: Average/Good/Great undecided

    Overall: Good/Great undecided.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    *Not saying anything*

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    3,403
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *Corresponds with above post* Tell us when your finished, then we'll have a big discussion on it.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, and BTW, notice how this thread is not spoiler marked so please mark spoilers per post if you want to have any.

    I've concluded there are 8 characters, 6 of which are supposed to be mandatory, and I can choose the other two from another 4. Can you confirm if this is right?

    Also, can you tell me in a spoiler free manner (like the name of a dungeon I should have just finished or whatever) where's the earliest point I will have to do something that will decide which characters I end up with? Thanks

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm... before you head off to get Crosell.


    Yup. Six main, four extras, you choose from two.

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks!

    Now I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should hit Sophia or Nel; Sophia is my kind phisically-wise, but I think Nel could be a more interesting person. I wouldn't mind living in her country either, he he...

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Sophia looks like an Olsen twin. >>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Vegito's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *Coresponds with Hodji's first post*

    Btw I just beat the game last thursday or friday.

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Xel: Yeah, face-wise I like Nel much better, but Sophia has that ass >_> . Don't know who the Olsen Twins are. [Checking out.] Yeah, I'd hit these. ROFL at this.

    ????

    *SPOILERS FOR DISC 1*

    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

    What's great of Star Ocean is under the "underdeveloped planets exist and we shouldn't interfere" story gimmick, they allow a futuristic tech game to develop in a middle/modern age themed environment, which is my favorite. Kind of like Xenogears; there's the technology, and it's vital to the story, but you go to a good old town to rest at the inn and buy a fine sword, instead of boring Star Trek stuff.

    Just when I had the planet under control, the Vendeeni have to come. Ah well. I'll kick their asses somehow. The new girl (Maria) somewhat looks like my sister (same story, age, hair, facial features maybe), which doesn't make me want to see her ending with Fayt any less. Still, I'm going for Sophia, but I'm making sure I'll be able to see at least the other girls endings too. Regarding this, I have several questions I hope you can answer without spoilers:

    - I've read a non-spoiling guide, and if I understood correctly, what I'm getting is 3 of 10 possible private endings of the characters who defeat the final boss, plus a paired ending of Fayt with somebody else according to how they like me. Is this correct?

    - What if you end up paired with a guy? Is it that kind of pairing? (In other words, is this game yaoi fangirls' favorite?)

    - Very important question: I've heard of items that will help getting one ending of another. In particular, I've made lots of fancy items with funny descriptions like, "This item will make you see life in a more positive way", or "This will make the user fall in love with the nearest person". Guide recommends using Tears of Aphrodite to affect characters' liking before the last boss. How do these work? I.e. do they increase or decrease the target's liking for Fayt? And what about all the other items that seem to affect emotions? Should I stack them?

    - In the first Star Ocean game, you could change others' affections by helping or healing them in battle. Does this happen here too? During most of the game, I've been helping Nel out since she was weaker than Cliff, i.e. when there are two foes, and Cliff and Nel each go for one, I'd go for Nel's. Now I've noticed she seems to do the same with me; is it because I've been helping her, or it's just because I'm so hot?

    Remember to mark spoilers for disc 1 and not spoil me of anything past the Shrine of Kaddan.

    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

    **

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Vegito's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 23rd, 2002
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Spoilers
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    Sephiroth comes and kills Kuja!!1!11!!!

    You get very cool boss music at the end of disc 1.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •